Thursday, February 27, 2014

Cheez-It Math Worksheet for Kindergarten

The kids love edible math manipulatives, and this snack cracker worksheet that I quickly put together was a big hit in our homeschool.  Just because Common Core doesn't cover area and perimeter until 3rd grade doesn't mean that Kindergarteners won't understand it..



I love the level of concentration that E put into her worksheet.  First I asked the girls to estimate how many crackers will fit in each rectangle.  I gave each one the number of crackers they guessed and if the estimate was too small, I asked how many more crackers we'd need.  Then they calculated the area of each rectangle by counting the crackers.  The girls measured the lengths of the sides of the rectangles using crackers and wrote down the number.  I challenged them with questions about which sides might be the same length, etc..  Then we added up the lengths of the sides to find the perimeter.  I showed them some tricks for faster calculation, like finding sums we know (2+3=5, and 5+5=10).  I think that just like with reading last year, arithmetic concepts are finally clicking with the girls (after lots of repetition and hands-on activities).




1 comment:

  1. Well! With the passage of time the way to learning also changed, Now there are different ways which are interesting and kids like to study with these ways. Study with games also a helpful effort.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! No spam, please.