Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Motor Skills Activities with No Setup Time

I'd love to have the time to create beautiful Montessori-style trays which the kids can use to practice certain skills, but in the meantime I have to come up with fun activities on the fly.  I want to share two activities that the girls enjoyed immensely, both of which took mere seconds to set up..




We happened to have an adjustable shower curtain rod that can be installed anywhere (you just twist it), so I put it in the doorframe and handed the kids a bunch of plastic clothes hangers to hang up however they want.  They made a lovely clothes-hanger sculpture, and asked to do this over and over again over a couple days.


Who knew something this simple could be such a blast for the kiddos?

Another spur-of-the-moment motor skills activity I made up was letting the kids pick up objects with their toes.  I took a bunch of random objects from their junk drawer in the kitchen and told them they had to pick them up using on their toes and carry them across the room:



The girls thought this game was hilarious.  It was not only entertaining, but by challenging the kids to do something in a totally different way it helped form new neural connections in their brain. 

These activities were so easy for me to set up and so much for the girls that I didn't have to feel guilty about not having time to print out, laminate, and set up elaborate activity trays for the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! No spam, please.