Saturday, April 7, 2012

Egg-tivities

We celebrated Spring this week with a couple egg-themed activities (because nothing says Spring like plastic eggs, right?).  I didn't have a lot of time to spend planning the egg-tivities, so they were basically things which were put together in the spur of the moment.  The kids still had a lot of fun.  Here's what we did...

 We made our own connect-the-dots activities using egg stickers:


The only instructions I gave the girls were to  place the egg stickers on their paper and connect the dots.  It's interesting how each girl turned this into a different activity.  L likes to "play by the rules", while E wanted to sort the sticker by the type of pattern they had (dots, stripes, zig-zags) and then circle each group. 

Since all kids love opening eggs and discovering surprises inside, and my girls are especially fond of tiny little objects, I hid some object-shaped buttons in eggs along with the corresponding words and let them open them (I already had the objects from a collection of buttons that I got way before I had kids when I still had time to sew). 




L put all her objects and labels in a straight line, while E found the little bone first and spent the rest of the time looking for a little dog to give her bone to.  After they opened their eggs and explored the objects inside, we did some phonemic awareness activities by identifying the first (and sometimes last) letters of the words and trying to match them up with the correct eggs (I wrote letters on the eggs).  We also matched up uppercase and lowercase letters:


I used dry-erase markers for the letters, so this activity only lasted one round.  Then we read the story Hen's Pens, and used the dry-erase markers to decorate out own eggs:



Our neighborhood had an Easter Egg Hunt:



There was even a bunny pinata which the girls enjoyed (although I'm not sure how I feel about letting two-year-olds batter a cute little bunny using a baseball bat):

 They met the Easter Bunny, too.  My husband disappeared with my purse (and camera), though, so I felt pretty silly having the girls sit on the Easter Bunny's lap and 'wave to Daddy' without anyone there to take their picture.  It was a really fun day, though.


1 comment:

  1. Love your egg activities, dot to dot is a great idea!! And that hunt looks like a lot of fun..... the bunny looks like he handled the pressure!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! No spam, please.