Monday, April 20, 2015

Titanic Crafts for Kids {Tonight on the Titanic}


The twins (age 5.5) have been in a virtual book club all year as part of their Calvert online school.  Recently they read Tonight on the Titanic by Mary Pope Osborne, and had to present a project related to the book.  I described some ideas for crafts to the kids and then let them create them themselves...




E decided to paint a model of the Titanic which could be moved around the background and sunk (with the help of a craft stick stuck to the back).  The drew and painted both the ship and the background (including a giant iceberg) all by herself, and enjoyed retelling the story of what happened to the Titanic.


Meanwhile, L chose to make a three-dimensional model of the Titanic out of an emply milk carton.  She designed and assembled it all by herself.  I'm really proud that it looks like her own creation versus a perfect model that a parent made.


She decided to tie a string to it, and dragged it all around the house.  In fact, L's Titanic model was a central component of the kids' dramatic play for a couple of days (before I insisted that we throw it away since the inside of the milk carton had not been washed before she used it).

I've never been a big fan of The Magic Treehouse book series (I personally prefer classical literature), but I have to admit that Tonight on the Titanic taught the kids a lot of things.  We all had fun learning Morse code and looking at pictures of the Titanic wreckage and artifacts on my computer.


For more learning and fun be sure to check out the LaLaLogic Critical Thinking Curriculum for Preschoolers which I developed.

Join Learners in Bloom on social media:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! No spam, please.