Monday, April 14, 2014

Monsters Theme in Homeschool Kindergarten

One of the days last week, I decided to make a fun "monster" theme for the kids during our homeschool time.  We read books about monsters, made crafts, wrote stories, and built our own monster creations (the one above was designed and built by E all by herself!).



Here are some of the books we read throughout the day.  Monster Musical Chairs was our math activity (practicing subtraction).  Another one we read (and watched) was The Gruffalo, which is one of my personal favorites.

The inspiration for this thematic unit was a calendar I picked up for $1 that has 12 foldable paper monsters.  The twins loved folding and glueing their own monster pets (with help from Mom).  Then they drew them and wrote stories about them.  E's drawing is pretty amazing.  Her story was short, but I'm proud that she used lowercase letters.

L's story was more detailed.  I helped her with the spelling, of course, but she was very enthusiastic about being an author.  L wrote the first page on her own and then traced most of the second page because I could see she was getting tired and I didn't want her to quit before she got out the humorous story she was telling me.

It was a lot of fun to talk about (non-scary) monsters all day and the kids had a great time with it!

For more learning and fun, please join Learners in Bloom at:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! No spam, please.