Sunday, August 26, 2012

A Day in Our Homeschool Preschool

As I mentioned in some previous posts, I officially started Homeschool Preschool for L and E (37 months) last week.  Basically it involves doing many of the learning activities we've already been doing, but adding a little more structure and calling it 'Preschool'.  This week, many homeschooling bloggers are sharing 'A Day in the Life' posts on the 'Not Back-To-School Blog Hop', where others can get a glimpse of a typical day in their family.  I thought it would be fun to join in.  Here's how our first day of 'school' went...



5:30am:  Baby H wakes up.  I nurse him, play with him a bit, then let him play on his own while I sit in the same room working on my computer.

6:30am: L and E wake up, so I take all the kids downstairs, let the dogs out, and start prepping breakfast for everyone.

6:30-7:30: Kids eat breakfast while watching Barney, and I start cooking breakfast for my husband, who comes downstairs at 7:30.

7:30: I made a big deal about starting Preschool last night, so this morning they keep asking when we can "play Preschool".  I try to arrange the furniture so the dogs won't bother us in our preschool area.   L and E sit on the floor with me for 'Circle Time', while Baby H watches from his crib.

7:30-10:30:  First part of 'Preschool' (I didn't keep track of exactly how long each activity took, so here's the summary of the full 3(!!!) hours..)

-We sing a name song (learned from Kindermusik), and do a different action for each person as they are introduced.  Baby H claps along.  When it was time to do something for me, I sang, 'jump, jump, for Mommy' and L corrected me and said, "You're not 'Mommy', you're 'Teacher'".

-We read One Fish Two Fish by Dr. Seuss.

-I introduce the girls to our Activity Trays:

I set up these trays the previous night.  They include eight fun learning activities that we try to complete every day.  I made two labels for each tray - one goes on the tray, and another has a velcro dot on the back.  We put all the activity labels face down on the table and then randomly pick one and stick it on our chart:

In Montessori classrooms, kids select their own activities, but I figured that this way, the kids would complete all the trays in a random order instead of always going to their favorite activities, and there would be less arguing about what we do next.

-The first tray that was picked was animal matching:

The girls matches little animal figures (from Toobs) to laminated animal cards as we discussed the various animals (what do they eat? where do they live? how are males/females different? etc..).  Even after they'd completed the matching activity, E wanted to play with the animals some more, so she made an animal parade:

-While she did this, I played a game with L where we tossed a ball back and forth and counted to 30.  Baby H went upstairs for a nap.

-The 2nd tray that was picked was Geometric Blocks:

E worked very diligently on a lion, while L made a dog, and I made a giraffe.  They worked completely independently on their own projects, and I noticed that their precision has improved a lot.

-We turned on some music and did some stretching and dancing for a couple minutes

-For the next tray, the girls had to place the correct number of clothespins on number cards:


L did the activity correctly and enjoyed counting, but E elected to put the clothespins around a plastic basket (which was OK, too).

-We put the tray back and sang the "Hokey Pokey".

(Honestly, I was only expecting us to do 2-3 trays in the morning, but the girls kept asking for more)

-The next tray was a pasting activity from a workbook:

-We had a snack.

-The next tray included two 12-piece puzzles:

Both girls were very proud that they could complete their puzzles without any help from Mom.

-We went out on the deck and blew bubbles.  By this time, Baby H had woken up from his nap and joined us.  He thought that popping bubbles was hilarious, and we all had a good time.

-There was still some time before lunch, so I played a quick game of "Magic Eraser" with the girls.  I wrote some letters on the whiteboard and each girl had to run across the room and erase the letter associated with the phonetic sound that I called out.

10:30-12:00 pm - I prep some lunch, and we all eat.  Then L and E play on their own.  They're always making up such creative adventures.

12:00pm-1:00pm - Girls take turns playing Starfall.com on the computer in Baby H's room, while I play with Baby H on the floor.

1:00pm-3:00pm: After reading approx. a dozen picture books to the girls, they spend some quiet time in their rooms, while I play with H, work a bit, and take a nap.

3:00pm: L just fell asleep, but E is up, so I take her downstairs for some one-on-one time.  First we do a workbook:

The content (colors and shapes) is very easy for E, but she feels a great sense of accomplishment as she completes each page and asks for more until we've done almost 20 different pages.  Then I bring out some paints for her:



E paints an elephant, a bear, and some cookies with sprinkles.  Since L often tends to take the spotlight when we're all working together, I think this special time for E to spend with me by herself is really important.  She really shines and behaves so much better than when she's around her sister.

4:00pm- When E was working and I asked her if it's time to wake her sister up, she kept saying 'No!', but I figure it's getting late, so I wake up L.  Both girls drink some milk and have a snack.

4:00-6pm- Go on a walk to the park and play at the playground.

6:00pm-8:00pm - We eat dinner, and then the girls play independently.  They make up some story about Daddy Crocodile and a mermaid who is running away from an orca.

8:00pm - Girls want to do more activities before bed, so we do some of our Preschool Trays upstairs.

-Making words from velcro letters:


L wanted me to call her "Magic L-" when she was making words (I think she got that from the Super Why show).

-Then we sorted animal cards by the number of legs they have:

8:30pm-9:00pm: Lots more stories, and then bedtime for the kids.

9:00-10:00pm: Work on my computer a bit, play Sudoku on my Kindle, and then go to bed.

This was an exceptionally good day.. Usually there are at least 2-3 fits or sibling fights, big messes for me to clean, and things don't generally go that smoothly.  I do have to say that our new 'Preschool' system has been working great all week.  I switch the activity trays up every M/W/F, and while the girls are free to work on the trays on their own (or with me if they want) the rest of the days, I try to make Tuesdays, Thursdays, and weekends more open-ended with time to focus on other projects.


3 comments:

  1. Your whole day looks great! I love those laminated animal cards to match up. Did you make them yourself? Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas. You should link to Tot School or Preschool Corner via 1plus1plus1equals1.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 3 year old twin boys and a 11 year old daughter who i homeschool. We use Mother Goose Time for the boys plus stuff i made up.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! No spam, please.