Saturday, March 24, 2012

Language Development

Last week, L woke up one morning and started stuttering. Nearly every word she said had a stutter in the beginning and end.  I panicked, of course, and started searching the internet to find a diagnosis.  Apparently this happens fairly frequently between the ages of 2 and 3 when kids hit periods of steep cognitive development and their language skills haven't caught up with how fast their brains are functioning (or something like that).



Now, a week later, the stuttering has already improved considerably.  And as a bonus.. L has started speaking French!  Well she only knows a handful of words and terms, but they've come in all at one.  All of a sudden yesterday morning she turned to me and said "Je bois du lait" (I'm drinking milk).  She's been pointing to objects around the house and speaking their names in French.  If she doesn't know how to say something, she turns to me and says "Qu'est-ce que c'est?" (what is this?).   These kids never cease to surprise me.

Since it appears that the girls are hitting a 'sweet-spot' for language development, I should probably start integrating new vocabulary words and foreign languages into our daily activities. I'll post more once I've come up with some creative ideas for doing this.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! No spam, please.