Thursday, February 6, 2014

Homemade Math Game: Feed the Clown


We've been working on math facts in Homeschool Kindergarten for what seems like forever.  Instead of flashcards and pop-quizzes, I prefer to mix things up by playing lots of math games.  Here's an easy homemade math game that I put together in a couple minutes and turned out to be a roaring success with the twins...



To set up the game I put a face on the paper bag (we had some balloon face stickers left over from the twins' half birthday, but you could draw a face or use pieces of construction paper).  I cut an opening for the mouth, pulled out some dominoes and foam beads (you can use anything that fits in the paper bag "mouth").. and.. voila! ..  a new game!  To play, each child turned over a domino and stated the appropriate math equation (5+3=8, etc..).  There was a lot of dot counting, which I like with these dominoes since they have indentation for the dots which increases the sensory learning experience.  Then each girl would use her chopsticks to feed the paper bag clown that number of "cookies".  The first girl to finish her bowl of "cookies" was the winner.  Easy-peasy, educational... and fun!


1 comment:

  1. I found you through secularhomeschool.com. This is adorable! I love the integration of hands-on learning, math practice, and sensory learning.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! No spam, please.