Top Ten Tuesday from The Broke and the Bookish and sharing my top 10 books I resolve to read in 2013. I'm sure I'll be reading grown-up books, too, but I have no idea what those will be (whatever is free on Kindle), so I'd rather list the chapter books that I'd like to read aloud to the kiddos..
Top Ten Chapter Books to Read Aloud in 2013
1. The Enchanted Wood by Enid Blyton (also the 2 sequels if kids like it)
2. Catwings by Ursula K. Le Guin (also other 3 sequels if kids like it)
3. The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum (abridged)
4. The Borrowers by Mary Norton
5. The Voyages of Doctor Doolittle by Huge Lofting
6. The Wishing Chair Again by Enid Blyton
7. The Gorilla Who Wanted to Grow Up by Jill Tomlinson
8. Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh
9. The Cricket in Times Square by George Selden
10. Stuart Little by E. B. White
L and E will be 3.5 years old at the end of this month and have been enjoying read-aloud books since they were 2.5. At first, I had to find books that had pictures on almost every page or they would lose interest, but lately we've been talking about imagination and seeing the pictures in their heads, and they've enjoyed chapter books with fewer illustrations.
Here are the chapter books we read in 2012 (Note that I only included chapter books that typically take more than one reading to complete. We read a lot of 'chapter books' for early readers that I didn't include because they could be read in 30 minutes or less..)
1. Two Times the Fun by Beverly Cleary
2. My Father's Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett
3. Elmer and the Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett
4. The Dragons of Blueland by Ruth Stiles Gannett
5. Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling
6. The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling (abridged)
7. The Story of Doctor Doolittle by Hugh Lofting (abridged)
8. The Owl Who Was Afraid of the Dark by Jill Tomlinson
9. The Cat Who Wanted to Go Home by Jill Tomlinson
10. The Adventures of the Wishing Chair by Enid Blyton
We also tried a couple books like Gulliver's Travels and the stories of Raggedy Ann and Andy which we didn't finish because the girls lost interest. This year we'll play it by ear as well.
Cuddling with my girls in my large bed and going on adventures with them
through the books I read aloud is one of my very favorite parts of the
day. I love it!