Thursday, September 19, 2013

Cooking with Kids: Watermelon with Goat Cheese Snacks

I've been cooking with my twin girls (4 years old) since before they were 2 years old.  Now they're finally starting to be real helpers and we've been having a great time trying out all sorts of recipes together.  It's a great way to practice Montessori Practical Life skills, fine motor skills, math, and to get the kids to experiment with trying new foods.  A couple weeks ago, we tried out a flavor combination that was completely new to us - watermelon with goat cheese.  Here's how we made them..



I sliced a watermelon to approximately 2 inch thick slices, and the girls enjoyed taking turns punching out little watermelon cylinders using a plastic shot glass (I couldn't find our small cookie cutters).

I mixed goat cheese with a bit of milk to get a creamy consistency and let the kids use an icing tip to pipe the cheese into the center of the watermelon chunks.  We topped with some cucumbers and voila!

It was a fun little finger food.  Although both my girls love goat cheese and watermelon, they were not crazy about eating them together, so I ended up finishing most of them.  We used the extra goat cheese to top some cucumber slices:

This was an easy "cooking with kids" activity, and created an appetizer that is actually presentable (which doesn't happen often when my kids are in the kitchen).


If you want to keep up with the latest updates from Learners in Bloom, please follow us on:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! No spam, please.