Thursday, May 2, 2013

Hidden Words Reading Game with 3D Glasses



A couple weeks ago we got a game with 3D glasses and a workbook with objects to find in a Chick-Fil-A kids meal.  The kids enjoyed playing the game as intended, but were particularly fascinated with the glasses.  I made them a fun reading game with hidden words that could only be read using the 'magic' glasses.  You can make this game using any red tinted see-through object (color paddles, Magna-Tiles, etc..).  This game provided lots and lots of entertainment (and reading practice) for my kids. Here's how it's done..



The first step is to write words (or shapes, numbers, whatever you want to practice) on a piece of paper using blue or green crayon.

Then scribble over the words with red crayon until they are illegible.  This is where you invite the kids to play...  Make up a dramatic story - ours was about an archeologist who discovered this ancient tablet with writing on it, but no one can figure out what the words say unless they have the magic glasses.  Who can find the magic glasses and unlock the mystery?

My girls (3.5 years old) were excited to try out the magic glasses..

I have to admit that it really is neat how the words appear magically when you hold the red side of the 3D glasses over a word..

My kids had a great time reading all the hidden words (over and over again)!

They even decided to write their own hidden words!  They're not very good at writing little letters yet, so we had to read their words one letter at a time, but this did not limit the excitement at all.

One day when I have more time to plan, I want to integrate this activity into a whole adventure puzzles / mystery theme where they have to unlock hidden clues that will lead them to each activity.  But that's for another day..


If you want to keep up with the latest updates from Learners in Bloom, please follow us on:

7 comments:

  1. What a fun way to practice reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fun idea! I could see my girls doing this over and over as well.
    Thanks so much for linking up at the Real Family Fun link party! Hope to see you next week.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun way to encourage learning!! I love it! Thanks for sharing at for the Kids Friday over at SunScholars! I am featuring YOU this week!! Stop by and grab a Featured button for your blog. Would LOVE to have you back to share with us again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting from Montessori Monday. I'd love for you to share your family-friendly crafts and ideas at Monday Kid Corner at thejennyevolution.com. See you at the party!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found a couple of your literacy games on Pinterest! I love your teaching style and creative activities! I co-host with Kim Vij on the After School Link up. I'd love to have you come link up some time.
    ~Becky
    www.thisreadingmama.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great idea, read more ;) 3d oyunlar go go go

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! No spam, please.