Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Decorate a Container with Cotton Loops

We made these gorgeous fabric-wrapped containers today - they could be used as vases, pencil holders, or kick-nack desk accessories and would also make wonderful handmade gifts.

A while ago I bought a bag of cotton loops which are supposed to be refills for those kid potholder looms (I was going to use them on a geoboard but then ended up letting the kids use rubber bands instead, so they've been sitting in my craft closet for a while).  You could also cut your own rings out of any stretchy fabric.  The kids and I spent the morning putting them on various containers:




Putting the loops around the mouth of the container and then pushing them down one by one was a terrific fine-motor exercise for the kids.  Taking them off again was fun as well.  If we make these again as gifts, I'd probably glue the loops that go around the bottom and the top of the container and let the kids fill in the rest.  They turned out so whimsical and colorful:



Now we just need to craft some spring flowers to go inside to make a cheery centerpiece for the table!


1 comment:

  1. Do you know how to make cotton loop roses because I can't seem to find anything. Well that's not entirely true I found cotton loop flowers paper roses but no cotton loop roses. Oh well thanks if you get to that.
    ~Sealofryleh

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments! No spam, please.